This is an impressive dinner-party dish which can be served as a starter. Large and firm tomatoes are used to fill the minced meat filling.
Recipe source: Quick and Easy Simple Indian Cookbook
5-6 large,firm tomatoes
40-50 gm unsalted butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger , finely chopped
1 tsp fresh garlic, crushed
1 tsp pepper powder
1/2-1 tsp garam masala
450 gm / 1 lb minced meat (I used minced chicken here,can use minced lamb or minced beef)
1-2 green chillies
fresh coriander leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celsius. Rinse the tomatoes, cut off the tops and scoop out the flesh.
- Grease a heatproof dish with butter. Place the tomatoes in the dish.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and saute the onion until golden brown.
- Lower the heat and add the ginger, garlic, pepper powder, salt and garam masala. Stir-fry the mixture for 3-5 min.
- Add the minced meat to the saucepan and fry 10-15 min.
- Add the green chilli and fresh coriander leaves and continue stir-frying the mixture for 3-5 min.
- Spoon the meat mixture into the tomatoes and replace the tops. Cook the tomatoes in the oven for 15-20 min.
- Transfer the tomatoes to serving plates and serve hot.