2 cups of basmati rice
1 tbsp whole cumin
1/2 tsp whole pepper
2 sticks of cinnamon
2 onions, chopped
2 cups of finely chopped spinach
1/2 cup peas, boiled for 5 minutes and drained
1 small green capsicum, finely diced
1 big potato, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp sweetcorn
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tspt roasted cumin powder
1/2 tsp garlic paste
1 green chilli, chopped
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
1 tbsp yoghurt
2 1/2 cups of water
2 tbsp butter
3-4 tbsp oil
- Wash and soak rice in water for half an hour.
- Heat a big pan, add oil and butter. Add whole cumin, whole pepper, cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms and allow to splutter.
- Add chopped onions and saute until transparent. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and roasted cumin powder and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add garlic paste, green chilli, potatoes, peas, sweetcorn and capsicum and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add chopped spinach and the yoghurt and cook until the extra moisture dries up.
- Add the water and salt and when water starts boiling , add the rice and coriander leaves and stir.
- Cook on high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring in between. Then reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook until the water reduces, stir in between to make sure all the rice is cooked evenly and perfectly.
- When there is very little water left in the rice, reduce to low flame , cover with a tight lid and cook for about 10 minutes. Serve hot..