1/2 kg fish, cleaned and cut into pieces
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
12-15 whole dried kasmiri chillies/ piriyan mulaku
15 shallots, sliced (1/2 cup)
2 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
2 green chillies, slit
2 small piece kudampuli/ gambooge
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 cups water
a pinch of fenugreek powder
2 tbsp oil
- Grind dried kashmiri chillies and tomatoes together to a paste and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a clay pot(manchatti) or pan and add chopped ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Add green chillies and curry leaves and saute. Add sliced shallots and saute till it turns light brown.
- Add ground paste and turmeric powder and saute well till oil separates from the sides.
- Add cleaned fish pieces and mix well. Add 2 cups of water, salt and gambooge/kudampuli and bring to boil.
- Reduce the fire to lower flame and cook until the gravy thickens. ( Don’t stir after the fish is cooked, just swirl the manchatti/pan).
- Add a pinch of fenugreek powder and curry leaves. Switch off and keep the curry covered…Serve with mashed tapioca or rice…
Recipe Source: Magic Oven, Kairali T V