1/2 kg prawns, cleaned
2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
4 onions, sliced
2 cups basmati rice
3 1/2 cup hot water
2″ piece ginger
5 green chillies
8-10 cloves garlic
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup coriander leaves
few mint leaves
2 tbsp lemon juice (1 lemon)
1 tsp garam masala
1 bay leaf
2-3 tbsp ghee
For Preparing Prawn Masala
- Clean the prawns and marinate it with chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Crush ginger, garlic and green chillies together.
- Heat oil in a pan, add marinated prawns and shallow fry slightly on both sides and keep it aside.
- In the same oil used for frying prawns (add more oil if needed), add 3 sliced onions and saute till transparent.
- Add crushed ginger, garlic and green chillies paste and saute well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute till soft. Add chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves and mix well.
- Add 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1 tbsp lemon juice and salt and mix well. Then add fried prawns, mix well and cook covered for few minutes in low flame.
For Preparing Rice
- Wash and drain the rice. Boil the water and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan, add cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bayleaf and 1 sliced onion and saute till transparent.
- Add drained rice and saute for 4-5 minutes in a medium flame. Add boiled water and salt, cover and cook till rice is done.
- Divide the cooked rice into two parts. Mix little biriyani colour in little milk and keep it aside.
- Take a wide thick bottomed pan and rub it with little ghee. Layer the bottom of the pan with one part of cooked rice. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp garam masala all over the rice.
- Add prepared prawn masala over the rice and then add remaining rice as a top layer.
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp garam masala, biriyani colour, 1 tbsp lemon juice and coriander leaves all over this.
- Close with a tight lid and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with fried onions, cashew nuts, raisins and coriander leaves…Serve hot..