Yummy combination to try with rice..I got the recipe from here…
1 big ridge gourd/ peechinga
1 cup cleaned dried prawns/ unakka chemmeen
1 small onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
4-5 green chillies, slit
1/2 cup grated coconut
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp vinegar
3 shallots, thinly sliced
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 1/2-3 tbsp oil
- Scrape the skin of the ridge gourd and cut it into small pieces.
- Heat a pan and dry roast the cleaned dried prawns. Then add 1 1/2 tbsp oil, chilli powder , vinegar and little salt and stir fry for 5 minutes and keep it aside.
- Crush the fried dried prawns into a coarse mixtute, keeping 1 tbsp of fried prawns for garnishing…
- Grind the grated coconut with turmeric powder and 1/2 cup water to a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add chopped ridge gourd, onion, tomatoes, green chillies, crushed dried prawns and salt and cook adding about 1/2 cup of water.
- Add the ground coconut paste, mix well and cook for few minutes in low flame. Remove from flame.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds and add the sliced shallots and curry leaves and fry till golden brown. Pour this over the curry and mix well.
- Garnish with fried whole dried prawns and keep it covered….Serve with rice……..