1 1/2 kg chicken, cut into small pieces
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 big tomatoes, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tbsp oil
For roasted masala gravy:
4 medium onions, sliced and then fried in oil till golden brown
1 big piece ginger, chopped
8 big garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp pepper corns
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 piece cinnamon
1 1/2 – 2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp oil
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds and saute.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic and saute for a minute.
- Then add grated coconut and roast well. When it starts to brown, add cloves, cinnamon and cardamoms and saute.
- Add poppy seeds and pepper corns and roast well.
- Reduce flame and add chilli powder and coriander powder and mix well. Switch off the flame and when it cools down, grind it along with fried onions to a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan and add finely chopped 2 medium onions and saute well.
- Add green chillies and turmeric powder and saute.
- Add cleaned chicken pieces and salt and mix well for 5 minutes.
- Add ground roasted paste and mix well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and 1- 1 1/2 cup water and stir well. Cover and cook till chicken is cooked well. Check salt and adjust the gravy by adding hot water..
- Add curry leaves and mix well. Remove from flame and serve hot…..