Sannas or steamed rice cakes are very popular in Mangalore region. It has a soft and spongy texture and is similar to idli, but yeast is used for fermentation…It is usually served with spicy curry…
2 cup ponni rice
2 tbsp urad dal
1/2 tsp yeast
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup warm water
- Wash and soak rice and urad dal separately for 6 hours in water.
- Grind the urad dal to a fine paste and remove it.
- Then grind the rice to a smooth thick batter adding little water.
- Transfer rice and urad dal batter into a large bowl and keep it aside.
- Mix yeast and sugar in 1/4 cup warm water and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Add this yeast solution into the batter and mix well.
- Add salt , mix well and keep covered in a warm place to ferment for about 3-5 hours.
- Grease steel ramekins or idli moulds with little oil and pour the batter in each mould/ ramekin.
- Place these ramekins into a steamer and steam for 12-15 minutes.
- When done, allow to cool and then remove from the ramekins and serve with any non veg or veg curry or chutneys of your choice….
Recipe Source: Vanitha Magazine