15 okra/ vendakka
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
a small lemon sized tamarind
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp coriander powder
5 dry red chillies
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
3 shallots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
few curry leaves
- Chop the okra/ vendakka into 1/2 inch pieces and keep it aside.
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup hot water. Squeeze out the extract and keep it aside.
- Grind grated coconut, coriander powder and dry red chillies to a fine paste.
- Heat little oil in a pan and fry the chopped vendakka for 5 minutes or until the stickiness disappears.
- Add chopped onion and tomato and saute well till soft.
- Then add the tamarind extract, turmeric powder and 1 cup water and cook until the vendakka/ okra is cooked.
- Add ground coconut mixture and salt and boil it for about 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Add the chopped garlic and shallots and fry till golden brown and add curry leaves.
- Pour this seasoning over the prepared curry, mix well and serve with rice….
Recipe adapted from here