1 kg chicken
3 cups basmati rice
3 onions, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp garlic paste
5-6 green chillies, crushed
2 tsp coriander powder
3/4 tsp garam masala
3/4 tsp chicken masala
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 tbsp yoghurt
2 inch cinnamon stick
2 star anise
1 bay leaf
coriander leaves, chopped
- Clean and cut the chicken into pieces and marinate it with chilli powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, yoghurt and salt. Keep it aside for 1 hour.
- Wash and drain the rice and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the marinated chicken pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat a large pan and add 2-3 tbsp oil and add cloves, cinnamon, cardamoms, star anise and bay leaf.
- Add sliced onions and saute well till onion turns transparent.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chillies paste and saute well for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well till soft.
- Then add coriander powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, garam masala, chicken masala and salt and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add fried chicken pieces and mix well.
- Add drained rice and stir well. Add 6 cups of boiling water, salt and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium flame till it is done. Switch off and keep uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with raita…
Recipe adapted from here