For Kadumbu (Rice dumplings)
1 1/2 cups rice flour
3/4 cup grated coconut
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 cup water
For Beef Gravy:
350 gm beef / mutton, cut into pieces
1 big onion, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
3 green chillies, chopped
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 cup grated coconut
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
- For preparing kadumbu, first crush grated coconut, fennel seeds and small onion together.
- Boil water and salt in a pan. Add this boiling water to the rice flour and mix well.
- Add the crushed coconut mixture and knead well to a smooth dough.
- Make small balls out of the dough and slightly flatten it and steam cook in a steamer for 10-12 minutes..Keep them aside..
- To prepare the gravy, heat little oil in a pan and fry/roast 1/2 cup grated coconut and fennel seeds till golden. Then grind it to a smooth paste adding enough water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add sliced onions and saute till transparent.
- Add green chillies, garlic paste and ginger paste and saute well. Add chopped tomato and mix well till soft.
- Add coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder and saute for a minute.
- Add cleaned beef/ mutton pieces and salt and mix well. Then pressure cook adding enough water (about 1- 1 1/2 of water) till done.
- Now add the ground coconut mixture and garam masala and cook for few minutes.
- When it starts to boil, add the prepared kadumbu/ rice dumplings, mix well and cook on low flame for 5-10 minutes or until the gravy is thick and well coated with rice dumplings….
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves….Serve as a main dish…