Sarkara Varatti / Sharkara Varatti / Jaggery Coated Banana Chips is one of the main item served in Kerala Sadya… I followed this video to prepare this Sarkara Varatti…
3 big raw plantain / pacha kaaya
200 gm jaggery
1 tbsp dry ginger powder / chukkupodi
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tsp cardamom powder
4-5 tbsp sugar, powdered
oil for frying
- Peel off the plantain skin , cut each into lengthwise and then cut it into 1/4″ pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the plantain pieces and fry it on medium flame until it is crispy. Drain it in a paper towel and let them cool completely.
- In a pan, add the jaggery and melt it adding 1/2 cup of water and then strain the melted jaggery to remove any impurities.
- In a thick bottomed pan or uruli, add the strained jaggery and stir continuously on medium flame till it reaches a thick consistency.
- Then reduce the flame and add fried plantain pieces, cumin powder, cardamom powder and 2 tbsp powdered sugar, mix well and stir continuously till all plantain slices are coated with the jaggery.
- Switch off the flame and add dry ginger powder and mix well. Add 2-3 tbsp powdered sugar and stir well , this will prevent the slices from sticking to each other.
- Allow to cool completely and then transfer to an air tight container…