2 cups of water
small lemon sized tamarind
1 small tomato
1 tsp rasam powder
a pinch of turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
2 dry red chillies
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
2 tsp ghee
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of warm water for 20 minutes, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add chopped tomatoes and turmeric powder and saute well till tomatoes are soft and cooked.
- Add tamarind juice to this and allow to boil for 3 minutes until raw smell of tamarind goes.
- Then add rasam powder to this and simmer for a minute.
- In the meantime, heat a small pan and add 2 tsp ghee and 1 tsp oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add dry red chillies and curry leaves, fry it and add to the rasam and boil well on medium flame.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves…Serve as a side dish for rice…