300 gm squid/ koonthal
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 cup grated coconut
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
20 gm shallots
4 garlic cloves
3 kudampuli pieces/ gambooge/ fish tamarind
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
- Clean and cut squid into round pieces and marinate it with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and keep it aside.
- Crush grated coconut with cumin seeds, garlic,curry leaves and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- Then mix squid pieces with crushed mixture, shallots and salt with your hand.
- Transfer the mixture into a manchatti /claypot or pan and add kudampuli and 1/2 cup of water and keep it in medium flame. When it starts to boil, reduce the flame and cook covered for few minutes.
- Then cook uncovered till almost all water is evaporated and squid is well coated with coconut mixture. Switch off the flame.
- Heat little oil in a pan , splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves. Add this to the curry and serve hot…