1/2 kg / 3-4 crabs
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 green chillies, slit
1 tsp ginger, chopped
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3/4-1 tsp crushed pepper
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 piece cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
- Heat a manchatti or pan and add 2 tbsp oil. Add cardamon, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf and saute.
- Add green chillies, chopped ginger and garlic and saute well.
- Add onion and shallots and saute well till light brown.
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and mix well till the raw smell disappears.
- Then add 1/2-3/4 cup water and mix well.
- Add chopped tomato and potato and mix well. Add enough water and allow it to boil.
- Add cleaned crabs and salt to this, stir well and cook covered for about 10-15 minutes on medium flame, stirring occasionally.
- When crabs are cooked, add coconut milk and heat for 3-4 minutes. Don’t allow to boil. Switch off the flame.
- Heat little oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and crushed pepper and pour this over the curry and mix well. Serve hot….