1 1/2 cup kadala/ black chickpeas
1 1/2 cup rice flour
1 1/2 cup wheat flour
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 cup grated coconut
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp garam masala
few coriander leaves, chopped
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp urad dal
2-3 dry red chillies
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
- Soak black chickpeas overnight in water and pressure cook it adding little salt and enough water till soft. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the rice flour , wheat flour, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tbsp oil. Add required amount of boiling water to this and mix thoroughly by stirring with a wooden spoon.
- When the dough is still warm, knead it well to a soft and smooth dough.
- Apply some oil to your hands and form small balls (almost same size of chick peas) out of the dough and keep it in a plate. Repeat the process till all the dough is used up and keep it aside.
- Grind the grated coconut to a paste and keep it aside.
- In a large pan, add the cooked chickpeas, 2 – 2 1/2 cup water, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt, mix well and bring to a boil.
- When it boils, add the prepared small balls and cook covered for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the balls separate.
- Then add the ground coconut along with crushed garlic and mix well. Add garam masala and mix well.
- Let it boil and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the gravy thickens and well coated with the balls…
- Add chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves and remove from flame.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Pour this seasoning over the cooked undayum kadalayum and keep it covered for 5 minutes. Mix well and then serve…