1 kg chicken
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 inch piece ginger, crushed
4 big garlic cloves, crushed
2 sprigs curry leaves
3 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 – 2 tsp black pepper powder
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp oil
1 cup thin coconut milk
1 cup thick coconut milk
salt to taste
- Cut the chicken into pieces, clean it and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed wide pan at medium flame and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add fennel seeds and saute for a minute.
- Add ginger, garlic and curry leaves and saute well till raw smell disappears.
- Add sliced onions and tomatoes and saute well till onions turn transparent and tomatoes are soft.
- Now add the cleaned chicken pieces and mix well and then cook it for 10 minutes.
- Then add coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and black pepper powder and mix well till the masala is well coated with the chicken.
- Add salt and thin coconut milk to this and cook covered for 15-20 minutes at medium flame.
- Remove the lid and then increase the flame and cook till all the water dries up.
- Then reduce the flame to medium and add the thick coconut milk and cook until the gravy thickens.
- Remove from the flame and serve with appam, pathiri , porotta etc..