1 cup vermicelli / semiya
1/4 cup sago/ chawwari/ sabudhana
3 1/2 – 4 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar ( add to your taste)
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
a pinch of saffron strands (optional)
2 tbsp ghee
10-12 cashew nuts
1 tbsp raisins
- Soak the sago in some water for 1 hour.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a thick bottomed pan and roast the cashew nuts and raisins and keep it aside.
- Add the remaining ghee to the pan and roast the vermicelli until it turns golden brown.
- Then add the milk, soaked and drained sago, sugar, cardamom powder and saffron strands and stir well.
- Cook on medium-low flame, stirring frequently, until the vermicelli is cooked and the sago have turned transparent and bubble-like.
- When the payasam has reached the right consistency, add the roasted cashew nuts and raisins and switch off the flame. Serve it warm or chilled…
- The payasam tends to thicken once it cools, so you can add the warm milk/ water to adjust the consistency of the payasam before serving…