2 cups rice flour / idiyappam podi
1 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp black sesame seeds
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp cumin seeds
salt to taste
oil for frying
- Grind grated coconut, shallots, garlic and cumin seeds together to a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Boil 2 cups of water with enough salt in a pan.
- Heat a pan and slightly roast the rice flour/ idiyappam podi on low medium flame. Add the ground coconut paste and black sesame seeds and mix well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the boiling water little by little and mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Then transfer the dough on a flat surface and knead to make a smooth dough without lumps.
6. Apply little oil in your palm and divide the dough into small lemon sized balls and roll them using a rolling pin into small circles.
7. Now roll them between your index finger to make a cylinder shape and seal the ends by pressing them together (or roll around a greased rod or thin rolling pin and press the overlapping edges together). Arrange them on a plate..
8.Heat oil in a pan and deep fry them till golden colour on medium flame and drain them on a paper towel.
9. Cool down to room temperature and then store in an air tight container….Enjoy as a tea time snack…