2 cups rice flour/ idiyappam podi
water as required
1/2 kg squid, cut into small pieces
1- 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 onions, finely chopped
4 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup grated coconut
1 sprig curry leaves, chopped
1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
salt to taste
oil as required
- Clean the squid and marinate it with chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the marinated squid and keep it aside.
- In the same oil, add the chopped onion, ginger, garlic and green chillies and saute well.
- Add the grated coconut mixed with 1/4 tsp chilli powder and little salt (mix well using hand) to this and stir well for 3-5 minutes on medium flame.
- Then add the fried squid , chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves and mix it well. Adjust the salt and switch off the flame.
- To prepare idiyappam dough, boil water in a pan adding enough salt.
- In a mixing bowl, take the rice flour and add the required amount of boiling water and mix thoroughly by stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Then knead it with your hands until the dough becomes soft.
- Fill the dough in an idiyappam maker/ press and rotate/press a layer of dough gently into the greased idli /idiyappam plates (or banana leaf ).
- Top it with 2 tbsp of prepared squid masala and then press another layer of idiyappam over it.
- Place them in a steamer and steam cook for 10-12 minutes or until done…Serve hot…
Love stuffed idiyappam… always delicious…
Love stuffed idiyappam..