For Kadumbu (Rice dumplings)
2 cups rice flour
1/2 cup grated coconut
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups of water
For Basale – Chemmeen Gravy
1 bunch malabar spinach / basale
1/2-3/4 kg prawns, cleaned
5-6 dry red chillies ( adjust to your spice level)
1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 garlic cloves
1 onion, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1 1/2 cup grated coconut
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
- For preparing kadumbu, first crush grated coconut, fennel seeds and small onion together.
- Boil water and salt in a pan. Add this boiling water to the rice flour and mix well.
- Add the crushed coconut mixture and knead well to a smooth dough.
- Make small balls out of the dough and slightly flatten it and steam cook in a steamer for 10-12 minutes..Keep them aside..
- Separate the leaves and stems of basale/ malabar spinach and wash it properly. Roughly chop the leaves ( about 3 cup) and cut the tender stems ( about 1 cup) into 4 inch pieces.
- Cook the basale leaves and stems with chopped tomato and onion adding enough water and salt.
- In the meantime, grind grated coconut together with dry red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and garlic cloves adding little water into a thick smooth paste.
- Add the ground coconut paste, curry leaves and cleaned prawns to the cooked basale and cook for few minutes. Adjust the salt.
- When it boils well, add the prepared kadumbu/ rice dumplings into this,mix well and cook on low flame for 5 minutes or until the gravy is thick and well coated with rice dumplings….Serve as a main dish…