1/4 cup toor dal
4 bunch ( 2 tbsp) green peppercorn/ pacha kurumulaku
5 garlic cloves
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 green chillies, slit
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
a pinch of asafoetida
2 tbsp coriander leaves
salt to taste
1 tbsp ghee/ oil
- Pressure cook the toor dal with a cup of water till soft. Once the steam releases, open the cooker and mash the cooked dal until mushy with a masher or backside of a ladle. Keep it aside.
- Grind the green peppercorns, garlic and cumin seeds together as a coarse paste and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add slit green chillies and curry leaves and saute.
- Then add the mashed toor dal with 2-3 cups of water, turmeric powder, ground paste, asafoetida , chopped coriander leaves and salt and boil on low-medium flame until froth starts forming at the top.
- Switch off the flame and squeeze the lemon juice. Mix well and then serve with rice…