2 big potatoes
1 1/2-2 cups gram flour/ kadalamavu
1/2-1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste
oil for frying
- Boil the potatoes, peel and mash it well without any lumps.
- To the mashed potatoes, add gram flour ( first add 1 1/2 cup), chilli powder, salt and asafoetida and mix well.
- Then knead it well using hand to a soft dough. Add the gram flour if needed.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium high heat. Fill the idiyappam / string hopper maker, fitted with smallest hole attachment with the dough.
- When the oil is hot, press the dough into the oil in a circular motion. Don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Fry it on medium flame till it turns golden brown on each side. Take care not to burn the sev.
- Repeat the same process until all the dough is used.
- Then crush/ break the sev gently into small pieces with your hand.
- Allow it to cool completely and store it in an airtight container…
- The dough will be little sticky…