1/2 cup black eyed beans / vellapayar
1 cup basmati rice
2 cups of water
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 green chillies, chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 cinnamon piece
salt to taste
1 1/2-2 tbsp oil
- Soak the black eyed beans in water for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Mean while boil the black eyed beans with turmeric powder and salt adding enough water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cardamoms, cinnamon , cloves and cumin seeds. Add sliced onion, green chillies and crushed ginger-garlic and saute till soft.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt and saute till the raw smell disappear.
- Then add the drained boiled black eyed beans, mix well and cook for about 5 minutes at medium flame.
- Add the drained rice to this and mix well for a minute. Then add 2 cups of water and mix well. Adjust the salt..
- When it starts to boil, reduce the flame and cook covered till done. Remove from flame, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot …………