For Muslim Food Bloggers Challenge, this month’s theme is ” Breakfast”. I am choosing the carrot idiyappam as this month’s challenge, which can be served with any curry of your choice. There is not much difference in the taste compared to traditional idiyappam. I enjoy trying different varieties of idiyappams as it is my kids favourite breakfast item…
2 big carrots
2 cups rice flour / idiyappam podi
salt to taste
boiling water as required
- Peel and chop carrots into small pieces and cook it until soft adding enough water. Then grind / puree the cooked carrots to a smooth paste adding little water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine rice flour, carrot puree and enough salt. Then add required amount of boiling water and mix thoroughly by stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Then knead well with your hands until the dough becomes soft.
- Grease the idiyappam maker/press and idli plates with little oil to prevent sticking.
- Fill the dough in an idiyappam maker/ press and rotate/press little dough gently into the greased idli plates.
6. Place the idli plates in a steamer and steam cook for 10-12 minutes or until done…Serve hot with side dish of your choice….
The carrots give the idiyappams such a pretty color… lovely recipe dear…
Wow this is awesome,that colour is so good!
wow! home made idiyappam. love the orange colour given by the carrots