1/2 kg thick flesh fish, cut into pieces ( I used kingfish)
2 cups kaima rice/ basmati rice
3 cups of water
1 1/2 tbsp ginger, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp garlic, chopped
2 big green chillies, chopped
1 big onion, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 or 1 dried lemon
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
For Masala Powder:
1 tbsp pepper corns
1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
3/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 big piece cinnamon
1/2 bay leaf
small piece of nutmeg
1/2 tsp dry ginger powder/ chukkupodi
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Wash the rice, drain it and keep it aside.
- Blanch the tomatoes (add tomatoes in a pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes and then transfer them to a bowl of cold water), then peel off the skin and grind to a paste / puree and keep it aside.
- Prepare masala powder by grinding together all the ingredients under “For Masala Powder” to a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add chopped ginger, garlic, green chillies and onions and saute well till it starts to change colour.
- Add turmeric powder to this and mix well.
- Add cleaned fish pieces and mix well adding little salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Then add pureed tomatoes ( about 1 cup) and mix well.
- Add 3 cups of water and allow it to boil. When it starts to boil, add drained rice and salt and mix well.
- Then add about 2 1/2-3 tbsp masala powder ( step 3) and mix well.
- Add dried lemon and cook covered for 1 whistle at high flame and then reduce the flame and cook for another 1 whistle.
- When the pressure releases, open the pressure cooker and then serve garnished with coriander leaves…