250 gm kovakka/ ivy gourd
1/4 cup cashew nuts
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 of 1 small tomato, chopped
3-4 green chillies, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 sprig curry leaves
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4- 1/2 cup grated coconut
1 tsp mustard seeds
1-2 dry red chillies
- Soak the cashew nuts in water for about 15-20 minutes. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Wash and cut the kovakka into lengthwise pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies, curry leaves and crushed garlic and fry.
- Add chopped onion and saute till transparent. Add green chillies, chopped tomato and chopped kovakka and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook covered at low flame, stirring occasionally. (Sprinkle little water if required).
- When the kovakka is half cooked, add soaked cashew nuts and mix well and cook at low flame till done.
- Then add grated coconut to this, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame till all the water dries up… Remove from flame and serve with rice…