1/4 cup whole urad dal
1 small green chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
few curry leaves, finely chopped
2 medium potatoes
2 medium onions, chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp pepper powder
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 cup thin coconut milk
1/2-3/4 cup thick coconut milk
3/4 tsp gram masala
salt to taste
1 tsp mustard seeds
4 dry red chillies
a sprig of curry leaves
oil as required
- Soak urad dal in water for 2-3 hours. Then grind it adding about 3-4 tsp of water till fluffy thick batter.
- Transfer this to a bowl and add chopped green chilli, ginger, few chopped curry leaves and salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium flame.
- Wet your palm with water, take little batter and make small balls. Drop them into the hot oil and fry till light golden. Keep the vadas aside.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add onions and potatoes and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, pepper powder, kashmiri chilli powder and coriander powder and saute till the raw smell disappears.
- Add thin coconut milk and salt and cook it covered at medium flame until potatoes are cooked.
- Add the thick coconut milk and garam masala and mix well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fried vadas and mix well. Check and adjust salt. Switch off the flame and keep it covered.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry.
- Pour this seasoning to the kootu curry and keep it covered… Serve as a side dish with rice…