25 mussels/ kallummakkaya, cleaned
1 1/2 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 green chillies, slit
gooseberry sized tamarind
1 tsp mustard seeds
2-3 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
1- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
salt to taste
- Soak tamarind in little water, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Grind grated coconut, chilli powder, turmeric powder, 3 curry leaves and shallots together to a paste.. Don’t grind it to a very fine paste.
- In a manchatty/ clay pot, add ground coconut, tamarind water, slit green chillies, cleaned mussels, salt and enough water and mix well with hand.
- Boil well and then reduce the flame and cook covered till the gravy thickens and the mussels gets cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry.
- Pour this over the curry and serve hot…