3 cups basmati rice
6 cups of boiling water
1 small onion, sliced
1 medium carrot, chopped into small pieces
1 cup beans, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup fresh green peas (optional)
1 bay leaf
2-3 small pieces of cinnamon stick
4-5 tbsp ghee
salt to taste
1 small onion, thinly sliced
few raisins and cashew nuts
- Wash the rice well until you get clear water, drain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp ghee in a thick bottomed pan and fry cashew nuts and raisins and keep it aside. Add 1 thinly sliced onion and fry until brown and keep it aside for garnishing.
- Add remaining ghee in the same pan and add sliced onion and saute until soft and transparent. ( Don’t let it turn golden/ brown).
- Add cardamom, cloves , bay leaf and cinnamon and saute for a minute.
- Add in the chopped vegetables and saute for 5 minutes until the vegetables are coated in oil.
- Add the drained rice and stir fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add boiling water and salt and mix well. Allow it to boil in high flame until almost all the water is evaporated, stirring occasionally in between.
- Then close the lid tightly and cook at very low flame till done.
- Garnish with fried onions, cashew nuts and raisins and serve hot with chicken or mutton curry….