2 cups fresh cherries
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
- Wash and pit the cherries and chop them into half. Keep a plate in the freezer for testing the consistency of jam.
- In a thick bottomed saucepan, add the chopped cherries and cook on medium flame stirring constantly and mashing the cherries with a wooden ladle.
- When the cherries turn soft, add sugar and lemon juice and keep stirring at low flame till the mixture thickens.
- When it reaches the proper spreadable consistency, switch off the flame and allow the jam to cool completely.
- Transfer the jam on to a sterile air tight bottle and refrigerate….
- To check the consistency of the jam, take the plate out of the freezer and drop small quantity of jam on it. Tilt the plate and if the jam stays on the plate, then it is set, but if it is runny, then cook further till the consistency is reached…