600 gm whole chicken, cleaned
2 cups basmati rice
1 onion, sliced
1 tbsp crushed ginger-garlic
6 green chillies, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp pepper powder
1 tsp tomato sauce
1 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 tsp majboos masala
2-3 tbsp carrot, grated
1 small piece cinnamon
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp pepper corns
1 dried lemon
salt to taste
oil as required
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes, drain it and keep it aside
- Heat 4-5 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan and add cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds, pepper corns and dried lemon and saute for few seconds.
- Add sliced onion, chopped tomato, crushed ginger-garlic and chopped green chillies and saute well.
- Add turmeric powder, pepper powder, tomato sauce and chicken stock and saute well. Add majboos masala to this and mix well.
- Add cleaned chicken and saute well till masala is well coated with chicken. Add 1 cup of water and salt to this and cook covered on low flame till chicken is cooked well, stirring occasionally.
- Then remove the cooked chicken from the gravy and add the drained rice to the gravy and mix well.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of boiling water and grated carrot to this and cook covered till done at low flame. ( Adjust the water according to the rice you used..Check after 12-15 minutes if more water is required, add 1/4-1/2 cup of more water if required to cook the rice properly).
- In the meantime, fry the cooked chicken in the hot oil till brown.
- Place this fried chicken on top of the rice and keep it covered for 5 minutes at low flame… Serve hot…
Recipe Source: Vanitha Magazine