1 1/4 kg chicken, cleaned
15-20 dry kashmiri chillies
1 1/2 inch piece ginger
10 big garlic cloves
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp pepper corns
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3 piece cinnamon
2 tbsp vinegar
3 medium onions, finely chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 big potato, peeled and cut into cubes
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
3-4 tbsp oil
- Clean and cut the chicken into pieces. Keep it aside.
- Soak the kashmiri chillies in the boiling water for 20-25 minutes.
- In a blender, add drained kashmiri chillies, ginger, garlic, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, pepper corns, turmeric powder, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and grind together to a fine paste adding vinegar. Add little water if required.. Vindaloo masala paste is ready..
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and add finely chopped onion and saute well till golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well till soft and oil appears on top.
- Then add the vindaloo masala paste and salt and saute well till the raw smell disappears.
- Add sugar to this and mix well. Then add the chicken pieces and mix well.
- Add chopped potato and mix well. Add 1-1 1/2 cups of water and mix well.
- Then cook it covered till the chicken is cooked well and the gravy thickens. Switch off the flame and serve hot…
- In the original recipe, around 35 less spicy kashmiri chillies are used..So add according to your spice tolerance… I reduced the amount of chillies to make it less spicy for my kids…
Recipe Source: Magic Oven