1 medium vellarikka / yellow cucumber ( 2 cups)
1 cup prawns, cleaned
1 big tomato, cubed
2 green chillies
1 1/4 cup grated coconut
1/2-1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp tamarind juice
2 sprig curry leaves
1-2 dry red chillies
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Peel and chop the vellarikka into small cubes.
- Grind together grated coconut, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, green chillies and 3 shallots to a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add the cubed vellarikka, tomato, chilli powder, coriander powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt and cook it adding about 1 1/2 cup of water for 12-15 minutes.
- Add ground coconut paste to this and mix well.
- Then add tamarind juice and mix well. Adjust the salt.
- When it boils, reduce the flame and add cleaned prawns, mix well and cook it covered until done.
- Heat oil in a small pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies, sliced shallots and curry leaves and fry till brown.
- Pour this seasoning over the curry and mix well.. Serve hot with rice..