1 beetroot ( 1 cup grated)
1 cup chana dal / kadalaparippu
1/4 cup toor dal / thuvaraparippu
2 dry red chillies
2-3 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
1 sprig curry leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
salt to taste
oil for frying
- Wash and soak chana dal and toor dal separately in water for 1 hour.
- Wash and peel off the skin of beetroot and then finely grate it and keep it aside.
- Soak dry red chillies in little water for 10 minutes.
- In a blender, add the drained dal, dry red chillies and fennel seeds and grind to a coarse mixture without adding water.
- Transfer this to a bowl and add grated beetroot, chopped onion, ginger, green chilli, curry leaves, coriander leaves and salt and mix well with your hand.
- Make small balls out of the mixture and flatten them with your palms.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop the prepared vadas gently to the hot oil and fry them on medium flame till crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot with tea / coffee…