1 piece ginger, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 sprig curry leaves
2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/4 cup vinegar
3/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
salt to taste
2-3 tbsp gingelly oil / sesame oil
- Wash the lemons and pat dry them with a clean kitchen towel.
- Steam the lemons in a steamer for 8-10 minutes until soft. Do not let the lemon crack.
- Allow it to cool and then cut each lemon into 6-8 pieces. Mix it with salt and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter 1/4 tsp mustard seeds.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic and curry leaves and saute till the raw smell disappears.
- Then reduce the flame to low and add asafoetida, kashmiri chilli powder and turmeric powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add 2-3 tbsp of water, if you want gravy in pickle and bring it to a boil. Add vinegar to this and mix well.
- Now add the salted lemon pieces and mix well. Adjust the salt and switch off the flame.
- In a small pan, lightly dry roast 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds and then powder them. Add this to the prepared pickle and mix well.
- Transfer into a clean dry air tight glass jar / bharani….