3/4 kg mutton, cleaned
1 1/2 tbsp garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
20-25 shallots, sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
3/4-1 tsp dry ginger powder / chukkupodi
1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
3/4 tsp fennel powder
1/2 cup less sour yoghurt
1 piece cinnamon
3-4 green cardamoms
1 black cardamom
1 bay leaf
1 mace, chopped
salt to taste
3 cups of water
3 tbsp ghee
- Clean and cut the mutton into medium pieces.
- In a pressure cooker, add cleaned mutton, turmeric powder, chopped garlic, salt and 3 cups of water and mix well.
- Then cook it covered for 1 whistle at high flame and 3-4 whistles on low flame till done.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and separate the cooked mutton pieces and stock in different bowls.
- In a small bowl, mix kashmiri chilli powder with little water and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan and add cinnamon, green cardamoms, black cardamom, bay leaf and mace and saute for few seconds.
- Add sliced shallots and chopped onion to this and saute well till it turns medium brown colour.
- Then add kashmiri chilli paste ( step 5) and mix well.
- Add dry ginger powder, coriander powder and fennel powder and mix well till its raw smell disappears.
- Add cooked mutton pieces and mix well.
- Add beaten yoghurt and mix well till it turns dry and the oil separates.
- Then add stock and mix well. Adjust the salt and allow it to boil for few minutes.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot with ghee rice, chapati, neer dosa etc…
Recipe Source: Magic Oven