1 cup kadala / black chickpeas
1 big onion, chopped
6-8 shallots, sliced
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 1/2-2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
3/4 tsp garam masala
1 cup medium thick coconut milk
1 tsp mustard seeds
3 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Soak kadala / chickpeas in water for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- In a pressure cooker, add drained kadala, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and salt and cook it adding 1 cup of water for 1 whistle at high flame. Then reduce the flame and cook for 2 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and add dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add shallots and saute well. Add chopped onion and saute well till light brown.
- Now reduce the flame to low and add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and garam masala and mix well.
- Then add the cooked kadala along with gravy and mix well. Adjust the salt and boil well at low flame.
- Add coconut milk into this and mix well and adjust water and cook at low flame until gravy thickens.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Switch off the flame and serve with puttu / appam / idiyappam etc…