2 cups rice flour ( I used pathiri podi)
250 gm jaggery
1 1/2 -2 cup grated coconut
2-3 cardamom, crushed
salt to taste
water as required
12-15 turmeric leaves/ manjal ela
- In a sauce pan, melt the jaggery adding 1/2 cup of water and strain it.
- Transfer this to a pan and add grated coconut and cardamom powder and saute well until it becomes dry. Keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add rice flour and salt and mix well.
- Add the required amount of boiling water little by little to the rice flour and mix thoroughly with a wooden spatula.
- When it is warm enough to handle, knead it with your hands until the dough becomes soft. Keep it aside.
- To prepare the ada, divide the dough into big lemon sized balls .
- Take a turmeric leaf and place the dough on the leaf and flatten it thin using your finger.
- Then place some filling on one side of the rolled out dough and gently fold over the other side and press lightly.
- Repeat the same with all the remaining turmeric leaves and coconut-jaggery filling.
- Place them in a steamer and steam cook for 15-18 minutes..Serve it as breakfast or a snack…