1 kg big fresh clams with shells
2 cups rice flour
1/2 cup grated coconut
2 green chillies
1 small onion, chopped
2-3 tsp fennel seeds
2 tbsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
hot water, as required
- Clean the shell of the clams and split open through the slits with a knife without breaking the shells apart. Wash it well , drain the water inside and keep it aside.
- Grind grated coconut, fennel seeds , green chillies and chopped onions to a coarse paste.
- In a bowl, add rice flour and salt. Add ground coconut mixture to this and mix well.
- Then add the required amount of boiling water ( about 2- 2 1/2 cups) and mix well using a wooden spoon.
- When the dough is still warm, knead it well to a soft and smooth dough.
- Stuff the cleaned clams with the dough and steam it for 20-25 minutes.
- Once it is cooled, remove the shell carefully and keep it aside. The flesh inside the clams would stick to the steamed rice dough.
- Make a paste of kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt adding little water.
- Heat oil in a pan, dip the steamed clams in this paste till well coated and fry it till golden at medium flame. Serve as a snack for tea…