1/2 kg mutton, cut into pieces
3 medium onion, sliced
1 piece ginger
5-6 garlic cloves
6 green chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
1 small potato, boiled and mashed
8-10 cashew nuts
1 1/2-1 3/4 cup thin coconut milk
1 cup thick coconut milk
2 tbsp pepper powder
1/2 tsp fennel powder
1/4-1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp vinegar
2 piece cinnamon
salt to taste
3-4 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Clean the mutton and drain it in a strainer and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add cleaned mutton, 1 cardamom, 1 small piece cinnamon, 2 cloves, 1 tbsp pepper powder and salt and mix well.
- Add 1 1/2-1 3/4 thin coconut milk and mix well and cook covered for 1 whistle at medium flame and then reduce the flame and cook for 4 whistles or till done.
- Soak cashew nuts in little water and then grind to a paste and keep it aside.
- Crush garlic, ginger and 3 green chillies together and keep it aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add 3 cloves, 2 cardamoms, 1 piece cinnamon and curry leaves.
- Add sliced onions and salt and saute well.
- Add crushed shallots ( just crush for 1 pulse in a small blender) and saute well.
- Add crushed garlic-ginger-green chilli paste and 3 slit green chillies and saute well till raw smell disappears.
- Add 1 tbsp pepper powder to this and mix well.
- Add cooked mutton with gravy and mix well and boil for 2-3 minutes at low flame.
- Add 1/2 cup hot water and mix well. Add boiled and mashed potato into this and mix well.
- Now add cashew paste and mix well and allow it to boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add fennel powder and garam masala, mix well and boil well for few minutes.
- Then reduce the flame and add thick coconut milk and mix well and heat for few minutes. Don’t allow it to boil.
- Add vinegar and mix well. Switch off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Keep it covered till ready to serve…Serve with pathiri, ghee rice, appam, idiyappam etc…
Recipe Source: Fadwas Kitchen