1 cup white chickpeas / chana / vella kadala
4 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
1 1/2 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 small capsicum, chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp tomato sauce
3 tbsp chilli sauce
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
1-1 1/2 tsp sugar
spring onions, chopped
salt to taste
oil, as required
- Soak the chickpeas / chana in water for 6 hours and pressure cook it with salt adding enough water for 4-5 whistles at high flame.
- Drain the water and transfer to a bowl. Add corn flour into this and shake well and keep it aside 2-3 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add cornflour coated chickpeas into the hot oil.
- Fry them in 2 batches at medium flame till crispy and golden. ( Don’t use ladle/ spatula , just shake the pan for uniform frying).
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan and add chopped garlic, green chillies and ginger and saute.
- Add finely chopped onion and saute for 2 minutes. Don’t brown.
- Add chopped capsicum and saute for a minute.
- Add soy sauce, tomato sauce, chilli sauce, chilli powder, pepper powder and little salt and mix well at high flame for 2 minutes.
- Add 1-1 1/2 cup water and sugar and mix well.
- When it boils, add fried chickpeas and mix well. Add chopped spring onion and mix well.
- Adjust the salt and switch off the flame..Serve hot…