1 1/2 cup parboiled rice / matta rice
1/4 kg chicken, cleaned
1 big onion, chopped
2-3 green chillies, slit
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 sprig curry leaves
1 1/2 tsp fennel powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 1/2 cup coconut milk
1 piece cinnamon
1 bay leaf
3 tbsp coconut oil
salt to taste
- Wash the rice well and drain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaf and saute.
- Add chopped onion and saute well till soft.
- Add slit green chillies and ginger-garlic paste and saute well. Add curry leaves and mix well.
- Add cleaned chicken pieces and saute well adding little salt for 3-4 minutes.
- Then cook it covered for 5 minutes. Add turmeric powder and fennel powder and mix well for 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk, 1 1/4 cup of water and little salt and mix well.
- Add drained rice to this , mix well and cook it covered for 3 whistle at medium flame.
- Open the pressure cooker when the pressure releases and then serve with raita, pickle etc…
- Some rice needs more or less water to get cooked, so adjust the water/ coconut milk accordingly. Here I used total 3 3/4 cups ( 1 1/4 cups of water and 2 1/2 cups of coconut milk) for 1 1/2 cups of matta rice.