1 cup black chick peas / kadala
2 medium onions, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
4 garlic cloves
small piece ginger, chopped
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp pepper corns
2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2-3/4 tsp chilli powder
3-4 tbsp grated coconut
2 tbsp coconut slices
4 shallots, sliced
2 dry red chillies
1/2 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 sprig curry leaves
3 tbsp oil
- Soak kadala / chickpeas in water for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- In a pressure cooker, cook the soaked kadala adding salt and enough water till done.
- In a bowl, add 3-4 tbsp of cooked kadala and mash it well and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add fennel seeds, pepper corns, garlic cloves and chopped ginger and saute.
- Add sliced onions and saute well. Reduce the flame and add coriander powder, turmeric powder and chilli powder and saute well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute till it turns soft.
- Add grated coconut an mix well for 2 minutes. Switch off the flame and allow it to cool.
- Then grind to a paste adding little water and keep it aside.
- Heat 1-1 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add coconut slices, sliced shallots, curry leaves and dry red chillies and saute.
- Add ground paste and mix well. Add mashed kadala into this and mix well.
- Then add the cooked kadala with its gravy and salt and mix well.
- Add 1/2 tsp garam masala and allow to boil well till the gravy thickens.
- Switch off the flame and serve with puttu, appam etc..