1/2 cups white chickpeas/ vella kadala
2 cups basmati rice
2 onions, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp amchur powder/ dry mango powder
200 gm paneer cubes
3/4-1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
- Soak white chickpeas in water for 5-6 hours or overnight and then pressure cook it with a tsp of salt and enough water until soft at medium flame. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a large pan, boil 5-7 cups of water and cook the rice with salt for about 15 minutes or till done. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and add cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion and saute well till transparent.
- Add chopped garlic and saute for a minute. Add chopped tomatoes and cook well till soft.
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala, cumin powder, chilli powder, amchur powder and salt and mix well.
- Add cooked chick peas and mix well for a minute. Then add paneer cubes, mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the cooked rice, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame till the rice heated up well.
- Remove from the flame and serve hot garnished with chopped coriander leaves…