250 gm pitted dates
125 gm tamarind
250 gm jaggery, grated
5 medium green chillies, chopped
2 tbsp garlic, thinly sliced
2 tbsp ginger, thinly sliced
1 sprig curry leaves
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
2 cups + 1/2 cup water
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
1/2 cup coconut oil
- Chop the dates into small pieces and keep it aside.
- Remove the seeds from tamarind and soak it in 2 cups of hot water and keep it aide.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, sliced garlic, ginger and green chillies and saute well.
- Reduce the flame and add turmeric powder and kashmiri chilli powder and mix well till raw smell goes.
- Add chopped dates and mix well for 5 minutes.
- Add soaked tamarind along with water and boil well adding salt.
- Add grated jaggery and mix well. Add 1/2 cup of water into this and allow to boil.
- Then reduce the flame to low and boil for another 10 minutes.
- Adjust the salt and remove from the flame.
- Let it cool completely and then transfer into an airtight glass jar. Serve with biriyani….
Recipe Source: Lekshmi Nair (YouTube)