1 1/4 kg duck, cleaned
2 inch piece ginger, sliced
7 green chillies
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp pepper corns
1/2 kg shallots, sliced
3 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 tbsp vinegar
2 cups thin coconut milk
1 cup thick coconut milk
2 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
oil, as required
- Cut the duck into pieces, clean it and keep it aside.
- Grind ginger, green chillies, turmeric powder and pepper corns to a smooth paste adding little water.
- Add this masala and salt to cleaned duck and marinate well. Keep it aside for 5 minutes.
- Then transfer this to a pressure cooker and add little water and cook for 10-11 whistles (1 in high flame and then reduce flame and cook for 1/2 an hour).
- In a bowl, add chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala and mix well to make a paste adding 1/2 cup of water and keep it aside.
- Heat 4 tbsp of oil in a thick bottomed pan and add sliced shallots and saute well adding curry leaves till golden brown.
- Add the masala paste (step 5) and little water and saute well till the raw smell goes.
- Now add the cooked duck along with gravy , mix well and allow it to boil.
- Add vinegar and mix well. Adjust the salt.
- Add thin coconut milk and allow it to boil well for 10 minutes at medium flame.
- When it thickens, add thick coconut milk and cook at low flame.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a small pan and add 3 sliced shallots and curry leaves and fry till brown.
- Switch off the flame and add 1/2 tsp chilli powder. Pour this over the curry and mix well… Serve with appam, idiyappam etc…
Recipe Source: Lekshmi Nair Vlog