18-20 quail eggs / kaada mutta
5 big onions, thinly sliced
7-8 green chillies
8-10 garlic cloves
1 1/2 ” piece ginger
2 big tomatoes, chopped
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2-1 tsp pepper powder
1/2 cup coriander leaves
3 tbsp mint leaves
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
2-3 tbsp oil
5 tbsp ghee
3 cups jeerakasala rice
5 cups water
2 piece cinnamon
10 cashew nuts
2 tbsp raisins
For Preparing Rice:
- Wash and drain the rice. Boil the water and keep it aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp ghee in a thick bottomed pan and add 1 sliced onion and fry till brown and keep it aside. Fry the cashew nuts and raisins and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add cardamom, cinnamon and cloves and fry for a minute.
- Add drained rice and saute for 2-3 minutes on medium flame. Add boiling water and salt, cover and cook on low flame till rice is done.
For Egg Masala:
- Wash and hard boil the quail eggs in water with 1/4 tsp salt for 10-12 minutes. Then remove the shell and keep it aside.
- Crush ginger, garlic and green chillies together and keep it aside.
- Heat oil and 1 tbsp ghee in a pan and add 4 sliced onions and little salt and saute well till golden colour.
- Add crushed ginger, garlic and green chillies paste and saute well till raw smell goes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well till soft.
- Add turmeric powder, pepper powder, chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves and mix well.
- Add 1 1/2 tsp garam masala and lemon juice and mix well. Adjust the salt.
- Add boiled quail eggs and gently mix until the masala coats the eggs and cook covered for 2-3 minutes in low flame.
- Add the cooked rice over the prepared egg masala.
- Add 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1 tbsp ghee, coriander leaves, mint leaves, fried onions, raisins and cashew nuts.
- Close with a tight lid and cook on low flame for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and serve hot with raita, chammanthi, pickle etc…