1/2 cup vanpayar / red beans
1 cup raw papaya, peeled and chopped into small cubes
2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 cup grated coconut
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
4 shallots, sliced
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Soak the vanpayar in water for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- In a pressure cooker, add the vanpayar and cook it adding 1 1/2 cups of water and for 2 whistles.
- Grind the grated coconut adding cumin seeds and little water to a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- Open the cooker and add the papaya, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and little water and cook for 1 whistle.
- Add the ground coconut paste, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes over medium-low flame. Adjust the salt and switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in a small pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, dry red chillies and shallots and fry until the shallots turns brown.
- Pour this over the curry and mix well. Serve with rice..