1/2 kg cleaned prawns
2 dry red chillies
4-5 kashmiri red chillies
2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp pepper corns
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
small lemon sized tamarind
5 garlic cloves
1/ 2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp yogurt
a pinch of asafoetida
2 tbsp onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp ghee
2 sprigs curry leaves
salt to taste
oil for frying prawns
- In a pan and add the chillies and dry roast on low flame for 3-4 minutes till it changes colour. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add pepper corns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds and dry roast till it changes colour. Remove from the pan and allow it to cool down.
- Then transfer it to a blender and add garlic and tamarind and grind it to a fine paste adding little water. Keep it aside.
- In a bowl, add cleaned prawns and marinate it with turmeric powder, yogurt and salt and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry prawns until it is slightly golden on both sides. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add half of the ghee and add asafoetida, onion and curry leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground paste and cook in medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the fried prawns and mix well.
- Add rest of the ghee and roast on low flame till the masala gets coated to the prawns and the ghee separates.
- Remove from the serve with neer dosa, ghee rice, pathiri etc…
- Recipe Source: Kitchen Corner-Try It