350-400 gm squid
2-3 dry red chillies
5-6 kashmiri red chillies
1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp pepper corns
gooseberry sized tamarind
1″ piece ginger
5 garlic cloves
1/ 2 tsp turmeric powder
lemon juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 tsp pepper powder
2 tbsp ghee
2 sprigs curry leaves
salt to taste
- Clean and cut the squids into pieces or rings. Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and pepper corns and dry roast till it changes colour.
- Add dry chillies and roast on low flame for 1-2 minutes. Switch off the flame and allow it to cool down.
- Then transfer it to a blender and add ginger, garlic and tamarind and grind it to a fine paste adding little water. Keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add 2 tbsp of ground paste, lemon juice, pepper powder, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Marinate the cleaned squid pieces with this paste and keep it aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan on low flame and add the remaining ground masala and salt and saute till the oil separates.
- Now add the marinated squids and mix well till masala gets coated to the squid.
- Cover and cook until it is done , stirring occasionally. Add curry leaves and mix well for a minute.
- Remove from the flame and serve with ghee rice, neer dosa etc…